Parasite Movie Review - Dir. Bang Joon Ho



Release: June 15, 2019
Language: Korean
Hangul Name: 기생충 - Gisaengchung



First of all, I'm so familiar with Korean movies and dramas. That's why before starting the movie, I was expecting some kind of typical Korean clichés.  I have also watched almost all actors in at least other work before. So, I set my expectations higher. Parasite portrays mainly the class disparity, which is a typical cliche to me, I had enough watching artistic Korean material treating this topic. This could be seen as good point for other watchers as it is a real issue in the country and a global one . I mentioned this first because that was my first impression in the first half of the movie. 



Everything else that happened after, made the movie a mind blowing masterpiece. I'm not saying it was boring at first, instead, the story is well built and entertaining. The strongest point of 'Parasite' is the plot twists. o.m.g, okay I couldn't predict anything. The most admirable thing, is that not even a single plot twist is incoherent with the development of the story. Events and characters are strongly linked and matched.The movie is classified under comedy thriller. And I think only few works managed to go through the two genres so fluidly yet deeply. And Parasite is one of them. 





The 2nd strongest point is the cast, every actor has adapted well to the character played. An applause for the veteran actor Kang Ho Song and all others equally. But to me the one who stole the lights was definitely, Choi Woosik, he definitely hitted big with this one based on the things I've watched of him before. He hadn't  a lot of screen appearence in Okja and he only had special apprearences in almost of his TV dramas.




 I should also mention that I used to not be a big fan of Park Sodam acting based at least for the two TV dramas I've watched of her as lead actress. But, in Parasite, I can't imagine someone nailing Jessica like her.



Parasite or 'Gisaengchoong' the title, might look a bit random but I've few interpretation of it. Either, it's the sybolism of the bug that appreared in the first minutes of the movie, or the difference between the places and lives of the characters had. But also the changes caused after those two (or three) families have merged and somehow cohabited. A symbolic image that affected me is how the dad finished by being in a similar place where he used to live with different circonstances. The movie has an open ending but a melancholic one though.



Let's talk about the genius director now, I used to hear a lot of Bang Joon Ho and that he has a certain atmospher in his movies. I can fully understand that after watching Parasite and Okja. I think winning the Oscar of best picture speaks volumes about that. I know the movie deserves a better review especilly when it comes to each character psychological aspects. But I also believe such a masterpiece doesn't deserve to be entirely spoiled.



If you've watched it guys, it will be a pleasure to read what do you think?

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires